Michelle Obama Speaks on Fashion, Diet

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, also became the unofficial First Lady of Fashion when husband Barack became president in January.

In a new interview with Women’s Health, she reveals not only why she takes her own health (not just universal health care) seriously, but also her style.

“My father had multiple sclerosis, so I never took health for granted, because I saw a father that at the prime of his life was struck with an illness that completely changed everything in his life,” Michelle Obama told the publication.

She says she values both diet and exercise, even if she has a soft spot for fast food. As a child, she said, going to McDonald's with her family was a treat.

Michelle Obama in WhiteMichelle Obama

The First Lady maintains her figure by eating in moderation.

“We couldn’t afford to go out to dinner, so [it] was a rare treat," Michelle said. "We had theater class on Saturdays, and [afterward] if Dad turned left we were going to McDonald’s, and if he turned right we were going home."

"We’d always go, “Go left, Dad! Go left!”

He rarely did, and she says that was a good lesson.

“Those values - even though they were the result of economic circumstances - were really good, and created some healthy boundaries about food.”

Not that she doesn’t love the occasional diet-breaker.

“I do love a good burger and fries. French fries are my favorite food in the whole world. If I could, I’d eat them at every meal - but I can’t," she says.

"My whole thing is moderation. If I make good, healthy choices for me and for the family most of the time, having what I love once in a while won’t hurt.”

Michelle Obama, Curly HairMr. and Mrs. O.

The Obamas eat dinner as a family almost every night, Michelle says, noting that they make time for that whenever they are able, even if things are busy.

As far as Michelle Obama's hairstyles and fashion choices, the First Lady says.

“For me fashion is fun, it’s supposed to help you feel good about yourself."

"That’s how women should focus: what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. I wear what I love. Sometimes people like it, sometimes they don’t."

"I’m fine with that.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP