Ludacris: One-Man Stimulus Packaage

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Oprah who? Rapper Ludacris has given away 20 cars to people who wrote in about their struggles to keep their jobs for a lack of their own wheels.

Ludacris said he was taken aback after reading thousands of essays by people struggling or unable to buy cars needed to get to work or find jobs.

The 31-year-old rapper felt he could step in and move them ahead, partnering with a suburban Atlanta dealership for Sunday's contest giveaway.

"People are getting laid off, and now are looking for jobs," Ludacris said. "To be efficient, you need some transportation of your own to get there."

"That's why I wanted to give back to those who need it."

Each of the used vehicles included free gas for 30 days. Winners were responsible for tags, registration, tax and insurance. About 4,000 contestants submitted a 300-word essay to the rapper's foundation, explaining why they deserved a car.

Luda Pic

One of the most touching stories Ludacris read was by Mading Duor, who moved to the U.S. after his mother, father, and five brothers and sisters were killed in Sudan. His son was killed by a drunk driver in Atlanta a few years back.

"His story touched my heart," Ludacris said. "He's endured so much in his life and he's still here standing. I'm very proud to have helped him."

Duor, 33, has been able to keep a steady job at a school, but each day he felt stressed about how he was going to get to work. No longer.

"I'm so happy, I'm nervous," said Duor, who won a Nissan Maxima. "When I look at my new car, I say to myself, 'Is this really happening?'"

Crystal Beauford, 26, a single mom who takes the bus to work and school, now has a Saturn Ion. She has to learn to drive stick, but it's all good.

"This is going to help me so much," Beauford said. "It's a blessing."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP